Sunday, January 9, 2011

Response to Popol Vuh

                                            Reader Response on Popol Vuh
            The Popol Vuh is a book that the Mayans had written about their gods.  It is just like the Bible to Christians.  The Popol Vuh relates to me personally and was very interesting for me to read even though I don’t agree with it personally.
The Popol Vuh relates to me personally because I’m a religious person and I read the Bible. The Popol Vuh actually reminds me of the Bible.  There is a section where the Popol Vuh talks about a great flood just like the one in the Bible.  It was interesting for me to get another take on why the great flood happened.   It also talked about how the gods created the world and the people. The Bible talks about how God created the world and people.  So, that was interesting to me once again to get another take on how the world was made.
            The Popol Vuh addresses religion which is something that is very important in my life. I don’t consider the Popol Vuh to be correct.  I believe in one God not many.  I believe that God made the world and the humans.  I believe that God made the humans perfectly the first time.  I don’t believe that he messed up a bunch of times before he got it right.  I don’t believe that he only made the humans to worship him.  Finally, I don’t believe that there is more than one god.  The Popol Vuh  clashes with my views on religion.
             My view on religion was strengthened because reading this made me realize that what I thought before was right. I defiantly don’t believe gods made stick people and that people were made just to love, talk to, and worship the gods.  My view was that people were made to out of love and they were made out of the image of god.  I don’t think that god ever messed up and had to try a bunch of different things before he made the perfect human.
            I did enjoy the text and I thought it was interesting.  I don’t believe in what  the Popol Vuh says but it was fun to read.  I liked reading about how the gods made different humans and I thought it was kind of funny.  I thought it was kind of disturbing that there was so much death in the story. However, I became really interested in the Mayan culture after reading this book.

1 comment:

  1. Great posting! I like how thorough you were in your response. I think you make a good point that it is possible to remain constant in your own faith but still be interested in the faiths of others. It makes for a more interesting world when people from different traditions can tell their stories to each other. You don't have to convince the other person of your own faith, but you can share understanding.

    ReplyDelete