Monday, January 17, 2011

Julio Cortazar


                                                          Julio Cortazar Reader Response
            Julio Cortazar wrote many short stories.  These stories include “Community of Parks”, “Axolotl”, and “Our Demeanor at Wakes”. In all of these stories Cortazar uses magical realism to trick the reader at the end of the story. Magical realism can be hard to read, but it can also be very enjoyable.  His stories can relate to my life personally.
            I have to admit that I was confused at the end of every story.  I had to read the story a few times before I realized what had actually happened.  Julio Cortazar’s stories were very interesting to read and I enjoyed them very much.
            Julio Cortazar’s stories relate to me personally because I am a huge syfi fan.  A lot of the movies I watch include magical realism in them. Sometimes I end up getting confused at the end of the movies just like I get confused at the end of Cortazar’s books. I am also interested in philosophy and his stories make me think a lot about what is real, what could be real, and what is fake in this world.
            The text made me think.  I did learn a lot about magical realism by reading his stories. I also learned what an Axolotl is.  Other than that I didn’t learn a whole lot from the stories to be honest.
            The text was very enjoyable to read.  After I read each story a few times to really understand what happened, I ended up wanting to read more! Cortazar’s stories were never boring.  They kept me on edge because I didn’t know what was going to happen in the end.  I liked how he plays tricks on you so that you really have to think, and take a closer look at the text.
            I would defiantly read another one of Cortazar’s stories. They never got boring and they always made me wonder. I would recommend this text to anyone who likes syfi or to anyone who just wants to read an interesting story.  The stories were very enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment about how Cortazar makes the reader what about "what is real, what could be real, and what is fake..." I think this is a great power of fiction, and why it is important for everybody.

    ReplyDelete