Monday, February 14, 2011

Reader Response: Zorro



                                                                 Zorro
            Zorro was a very enjoyable story.  It was interesting to read deeper into the meaning, and the story was very entertaining to me. There were a couple scenes that made me cringe a little, but other than that I really liked the story. I liked how the pictures really told the story.
            The story relates to me personally because I like to fight for justice.  Not in the way Zorro does of course. I don’t kill people and nothing that happened to him has happened to me. However, if something happens that I don’t think is right I will voice my opinion and fight it. Zorro fights evil just like police officers in the real world fight crime.  Zorro is like the modern day police man. This agrees with my view on the world because I know when bad people are out there, there will be heroes to save people.
            Zorro fights the many injustices in the world.  In our modern day world there are a lot of injustices and there are heroes willing to fight for them. This relates personally to me because I feel safe in the world. An injustice in the world that Zorro went through was he lost many people he loved. I’ve lost people I’ve loved too so I know how it feels. However, Zorro’s loved ones were murdered. My loved one got old or sick and died. So, I can relate to Zorro on some level.
            I liked the way graphic novel was designed. I wasn’t confused when reading it. Normally, I do get a little confused going from picture to picture especially when the pictures are a little out of order. When the pictures were a little out of order in this book I was able follow the story line just fine. The different gutters helped me understand the story too, because if the gutter was bigger I read it a little slower. If the gutter was thinner I read the action scenes faster. The gutter set the pace for each scene.
            The picture that influenced me the most was the rape scene.  It wasn’t graphic at all, but at the same time the message came across loud and clear. It showed how the mother tried to save her son the best she could. While the other mother saved Zorro in a different way, but once again the only way she could.
            I would recommend this book to anyone who likes comics or just regular novels. Anyone really could read this book. It was short and it was an easy read. The pictures and the comic feel made it even more enjoyable to read.

1 comment:

  1. I like your point about how the gutters help the reader through the text. You also note how the way the art was layed out drew the reader's eye naturally through the graphics. I agree that Wagner and Francavilla did a great job creating a great visual environment for the text so that the story feels like it naturally flows for the readers.

    ReplyDelete